Friday, April 26, 2013

Beauty Detox Foods: Greens Risotto

I love Kimberly Snyder, chef and nutritionist to the stars! She feeds everyone from Robert Downey Jr to Fergie to Channing Tatum and Jenna Dewan. She's the creator of that green smoothie they all drink (including Hilary Duff, who is my homegirl even if she doesn't know it). She published a book a couple years ago called The Beauty Detox Solution with so many amazing tips of healthy eating that I had never heard before! Her new book, Beauty Detox Foods, totally lives up to its hype and I decided to try one of her recipes for dinner last night: a brown rice risotto with greens. I have a little problem with recipes- I can't stick to them. I basically read them and then do whatever I want! And I never measure anything... so if you're familiar with my blog, you know this, and if not... whoops. Sorry!

Brown Rice Risotto with Greens
1. Whatever your preference may be, use it to steam asparagus. I used a pot of boiling water with a steaming tray, with the asparagus cut into 1 inch pieces. It took about 7 minutes.

2. Cut up any other greens you may be using- I had baby fennel, celery and green onions on hand.


3. Bring some veggie broth to a boil. I used the same water I steamed the asparagus with, and added vegetable boullion.

4. In a separate sautepan on medium heat, add the greens (celery, fennel). Add one tbsp of veggie broth. After a couple of minutes, add another ladle of broth and then add brown rice. I tossed in a yummy bay leaf (housewarming gift from Aysha) and let it simmer until the water was absorbed. Then I added a squeeze of lemon and another ladle of broth. Cover and simmer til the water is absorbed and repeat. Keep doing this until the rice is tender, then add asparagus. Remove from heat and let sit for about five minutes or until water is absorbed.

5. Eat! It's seriously delish, and I didn't even add salt or pepper! (but feel free to if needed).


I had some parisian peas on hand that I steamed with the asparagus- so, so good. And everything was fresh from my CSA box from Farm Fresh to You!

No comments:

Post a Comment