Monday, August 19, 2013

Late Night Spontaneous Remodel

When we bought our house, we loved just about everything about it- except the master bathroom. It's the smallest area of the house and is really outdated. There's an area in the vinyl flooring that has always made me suspicious there could be mold at the floorboards (I used to work for a restoration company so I'm familiar with this type of thing) so tonight at 11pm I decided I needed to tear out the vinyl.

(Ps my husband is asleep and when he wakes up he's going to think I'm crazy. I'm used to his. So is he.)

After obsessing over the floor the whole night and next day, I decided to leave it to the professionals. We hired a guy and trusted him to do a beautiful job, and he did just that.
Before 1
Before 2
Before 3
Before 4 (please ignore the clutter- of course the day after I scrubbed the bathroom I decided to remodel)

I decided to buy the Rust-oleum Cabinet Transformations kit and just go for it. I wanted a nice, clean look and the builders grade cabinets which, while in great condition, just aren't "me" so it looks like they're going to be white! 
**See my post on this process**

The cabinets turned out amazing so it was time to get serious about the floors. We selected an LVT (luxury vinyl tile) and hardy backer and grout for about $260, but I decided I wanted real tile- vinyl tile doesn't up your resale value, while real tile always does! I loved this rectangular tile from Lowes, purchased for $110. I also bought a high end grout in "pewter" and a sealant to mix it with. 


After doing the floors and cabinets, it was time to paint. I used Valspar "Magic Spell" on the walls with a bright white on the baseboards (which are also new). 

I found beautiful knobs at Cost Plus World Market and installed them onto all the cabinets and drawers for the final touch. I am so happy with the outcome- the bathroom looks so different and much larger than before! (Not pictured- I must remember to post a photo!)

Here is the finished product! My iPhone camera isn't the best for this- the tile is actually a gorgeous charcoal. 

Labor $300, tile and other materials came to about $400, cabinet kit $75, knobs $35.
Total cost: roughly $800 and well worth it

Here's the tutorial on the cabinet makeover!



No comments:

Post a Comment